Sunday, 9 July 2017

Behind The Talk... (9th July)

The following is a spinoff series relating to Gracepath Talk. It is also fictional.

Hey! It’s been a while!

Abraham here, typing up this entry for today. School’s just about wrapped up for Term Two and I’ve been doing well in my learning. I go to Esterway College in the suburb of Wildegate - where the slogan is a Maori proverb: He waka eke noa - A canoe which we are all in with no exception. Very nice proverb, too, in this context, as it ties into the idea that Esterway is a safe place that accepts anyone who wishes to come to the school and explore its different areas of learning, inside the classroom and out. No one’s left out at all, so that shows how much the proverb plays into the school. Anyway, I got sidetracked.

TODAY, reader, I got into a car accident.

Dad was driving, on the way to his nephew’s house. And I blame myself for the crash. He tells me I shouldn’t, but I should.

I remember going through his phone as he was driving towards the end of Maxwell Lane, exiting to Coperteen Road, and I was going to teach him how to go to the contacts of the phone so that he can find the person he wants to call. As he turned into Coperteen Road, I was in the middle of saying something related to pressing on the contact to call them and he turned to me to see the phone and then I notice a car coming straight for us.

“Aagh!” I let out, my first response to the sight. In my mind, I thought that was going to be it.
Then as the car hit us, I again let out another “Aagh!” with my eyes closed, but this time, it was more distressed and louder, and I felt my body jerk forward, the seatbelt giving my neck and torso a restraining pain. My head then hit the headrest, and I opened my eyes, sucking up the air. “Ah!” I let out - the only word I could muster. Dad was stunned, his hands on the wheel, eyes unmoving.

I inhale and exhale a few times, my head resting on the...headrest. Dad checks if I’m okay, then goes outside the car. There’s a lot of damage, I know that for sure. The other car had to get towed off, and it held up a line of cars for a while. Our car still works, fortunately. Dad drove it back home, and our ride to his nephew’s house was at a halt.

What a great way to start the holidays, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment