Perspectives on The Czechoslovakia Crisis and the Munich Agreement

First off, before I get to the actual post, the links in my "Five Years" post are fixed, so if you couldn't access the documents, you can access them now. Hopefully...
---
So, for my History class, after the Dawn Raids topic, we were focusing on the Origins of World War Two. I'll do some sort of DLO to showcase my knowledge about the subject but for now, here is my completed assignment: I had to write two diary entries for two people, Winston Churchill and Neville Chamberlain, set in 1938 related to the events that occurred during that year.

Diary Entries of Neville Chamberlain


FEBRUARY 20TH:
Over my course of being the Prime Minister so far I’ve made quite the stir in Parliament, especially with the foreign secretary Anthony Eden, concerning my policy of appeasement. Just now, I’ve been informed that he has resigned from his position.


Cracks have started to show concerning my policy...


MARCH 20TH:
Earlier today an MI6 agent came into Parliament and spoke about German Chancellor Adolf Hitler and how his military would be ousted if we joined forces with Czechoslovakia against Nazi Germany.


As a strong believer in appeasement, I ignored his report, to the sounds of mixed agreement and disagreement. My reason for appeasement is because Germany has suffered much grievance from the conditions of the Treaty of Versaille, paying reparations and losing much land. That’s one of the factors going towards my appeasement policy, to give Adolf the land he wants, and that will be all.


But I find it hard to believe that members of Parliament, including the opposition, the Conservative Party, along with its leader, Winston Churchill, believe that going against a powerful and big power like Germany is the way to stop them from taking more land, when in fact this kind of action leads to war! My policy of appeasement will establish peace in Europe.


This man has already broken one of the terms in the Treaty of Versaille, having announced an “Anschluss” with Austria, an annexation of the neighbouring country. As a supporter of appeasement, I assume Chancellor Hitler will stop with these demands for further annexation of land, in the hopes that he will stop all this nonsense leading to war. But, despite the appeasement, I condemned his strategy of using force to annex the Austrian land.


SEPTEMBER 16TH:
I flew yesterday into Berchtesgaden, to speak with German Chancellor Adolf Hitler concerning the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia. My intention was to have talks with Fuhrer to convince him that his intention was to take back the Sudetenland, not to invade Czechoslovakia. Another intention was to keep peace, for a man like him is capable of causing an outbreak of war. We lost many lives in World War One, and lost millions of dollars spent on war artillery and defense, which led to the collapse in 1929. We as a nation need to avoid war at all costs because of the effects it causes us.


After much pressure from British Ambassador Nevile Henderson, and a few letters sent from him, the German Chancellor and I continued talks about the issue at hand.


For a man like him, his intentions may be more than annexing a piece of land.


It became heated during some moments of our talk. He explained that somewhere around 300 Sudetens have been killed (though he did not clarify how or why they were killed) and his intention to take back the Sudetenland will put that issue to rest. It sounded as though that he wanted to use force to gain back the land taken by Germany, and that no negotiations would change his intentions.


If that is so, I questioned him, then why did he allow me to come here?


Blast this sour kraut! I have wasted my time!
I plan to fly back to the United Kingdom tomorrow.


SEPTEMBER 24TH:
A few days back, I flew back to Germany to speak with the Chancellor again. This time, in Bad Godesberg.


As I write this, it’s around four in the morning, and the German Chancellor and I have had long talks about his intentions to take the Sudetenland from Czechoslovakia. I decided to fly back to Bad Godesberg to have talks with the German Chancellor about the current crisis.


End result - the Bad Godesberg Memorandum, in which the Fuhrer puts down a plebiscite for the Czechoslovakian government to give the Sudetenland. If the government do not fulfill his wishes, he will then take the land by force. I condemned his method and deemed it unacceptable.


OCTOBER 1ST:
I have flown back from Munich and into England after the successful Munich Agreement was signed and settled, and have announced to the people of the United Kingdom that this was peace for our time. We have avoided war!


Diary Entry of Winston Churchill:


NOVEMBER 25TH:
I understand my place in this House. The Opposition Leader, who opposes almost everything Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain puts out to the public. But, peace is at stake. Once again. The policy of appeasement is opening the door to war and conflict. In March, the German Chancellor Adolf Hitler formed a unity between Germany and Austria using the method of force. This breaks one of the major rules of the Treaty of Versailles that was formed and signed in 1919.


I made a statement at the time that this man was not to be trusted, and I agreed with the MI6 agent that came by the other day that military forces from the United Kingdom and Czechoslovakia would oust the Nazi German army. But, with his little appeasement policy, Chamberlain disregarded the suggestion, and I made the unpopular opinion.


I may have a small following in the parliament house, but it’s not big. There were rumors of the Nazi Leader taking back the Sudetenland and, possibly invading Czechoslovakia. To defeat a man like him, we should’ve stepped in to put the German Chancellor in his place. War or no war, we must pick the hard side over the soft side. We have showed our soft side, now we may expect to be hit by the hard side - the hard side being Germany.


The talks in Bad Godesberg and Berchtesgaden have done nothing to aid the Czech crisis. Although the document containing signatures from the Fuhrer and the Prime Minister declaring peace and no war, we cannot rely on that piece of toilet paper that will soon go down the toilet, leaving our country, and possibly the world, in toil and in darkness, drowned by the Nazi takeovers in neighbouring countries. The Munich Agreement has not given us “peace of our time”. I mentioned in an earlier speech in October that we have doomed ourselves with giving Chancellor Adolf Hitler and Germany the Sudetenland that was taken from them as a result of the Treaty of Versailles. The president of Czechoslovakia wasn’t present at the meeting! I feared that in the upcoming days, weeks, or months that Czechoslovakia will be invaded by Nazi stormtroopers, under the cruel rule of Hitler.


Hitler is a very bad man. He’s blowing up the balloon that is his power. We must stand up to him. Or else, war will break out. And if it happens to break out soon, we must prepare for it.

Comments

Popular Posts

Apology Post

Perspectives on the Dawn Raids (Level One History Assignment #1)

GBW: Transcript