Summer Learning Journey - Day 9 - Activities One and Two - School and Learning!

Hi, there, reader.

Another task from the Summer Learning Journey. Gosh, looking at all the posts on my archive for this year already, it’s mostly just Summer Learning Journey posts! That’s quite amazing how far I’ve gone!

Moving onto Day 9 quickly, let me set the scene. Curious Kiwi and I have gone to visit a market today.

Today Curious Kiwi and I decided to go out and visit a local market. When we were there we meet a young boy who was walking to school. He stopped and told us all about what it was like to go to school in Germany. He also gave me a page from his diary to show me what a normal school day is like.

Time
Day 1
Day 2
8:00 - 8:45 a.m.
Math
German
8:45 – 9:30 a.m.
History
Religion
9:30 - 9:40 a.m.
Break
Break
9:40 -10:25 a.m.
English
Music
10:25-11:10 a.m.
English
French
11:10-11:30 p.m.
Break
Break
11:30 – 12:15 p.m.
Art
Physical Education
12:15- 1:00 p.m.
Science
Science

Okay, so now you’ve read that, here is the first activity:

Think about your school and what you typically do in a day. Compare it with the diary of the student from the country that you are visiting. What is similar between your two school days? What is different? In your blog, tell us:

  1. The name of the country that you are visiting
  2. Whether you would rather go to school in New Zealand or in that country and why.

Here we go. I’m visiting Germany at the moment. When I compare what I typically do in a school day, to what happens in a typical German school day, I know that even though we don’t start school on the same time, we start the first school day off with the same subject: Maths. Or Math, as it says from the timetable. And that’s about it, I can’t think of any more comparisons. Haha.

What I can say about what is different, is that they have Science in their schooldays, they have music. Usually in my school days, we have Technology which includes Art, Music, Cooking, and Design. And definitely Religion. That’s different...actually, what is different in general is the times. School starts at 8:00am, the first break time is at 9:30am and lasts for ten minutes, the second break is at 11:10am, and lasts for twenty minutes, and school ends….

At 1:00pm!!

Although, even with the differences it gives, I would’ve chosen to stay in New Zealand and learn from a New Zealand school, because I mean, after some hard work, you ought to have a longer break than ten minutes!

Now onto activity two:

Think about your favourite subject at school. In your blogspot tell us:
  1. The name of your favourite subject
  2. Why it is your favourite subject

I’ll begin now. My favourite subject is….reading.

Why? I like reading for its...relaxation, basically.

I like reading because of the different areas, while also getting yourself into different medias like books, or magazines, or newspapers, or ONLINE websites like news...online. It challenges your thinking, and you know, one of the many things that I can keep in mind for college is that when doing an activity on a text, the main tool you’ll need for answering questions and such is...the text!

I’ll post the extra activity in a next post, coming not-so-soon!

Comments

  1. Hi Willy,

    Thanks for taking the time to post not one but two activity blogs in the same document. It's very efficient of you!

    I must admit that the idea of finishing school at 1:00 p.m. each day does sound quite appealing. I think that I could handle the 10 minute intervals if I knew that I would be done by 1:00 p.m. and able to go out and play with my friends, join a sports team, or read! I like to see that you enjoy reading. It is such a valuable skill to have and one that underpins almost everything that we do.

    My son, Aronui, is an avid reader as well and he has had trouble falling asleep recently because he just wants to stay up and finish his book. It reminds me of the post from Katharina when she mentioned reading an entire triology on board an airplane and staying up way too late. Do you ever do that (i.e. stay up really late reading and then struggle to get through the next day)?

    I'm looking forward to reading more about your schooling experiences when you have time to blog next.

    As it stands you are our most active blogger from Tamaki Primary School. I think that you are setting a wonderful example of other students. In honour of your involvement, Mrs Burt is going to post a participation badge along with a 'Top Blogger' badge to your blog site to acknowledge your incredible work. Are you comfortable with that?

    Please keep up the great work and continue to be a great example to others!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    I've been there a LOT of times, staying up to read then struggling the next day. It was when I was reading The Hobbit and I didn't have a LOT of time to read the book at school, so I decided to bring it home and read it as much as I can so I can finish the book quickly. I stayed up past midnight some nights to read a chapter. Only a chapter because, gosh, it was SOOOOOOOOO LONG!!

    In the end, I skimmed and scanned through. I didn't want to read more since it was the day of showing our work about the book. But now I know what happens at the end!

    And yes, I am quite comfortable with Mrs Burt posting a participation badge along with a "Top Blogger" badge to my blog. That sounds cool!

    -Willy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Willy,

    It's great to hear that you're okay to have the badge posted on your site. You have totally earned it. You've been an inspiring blogger! I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts and I'm very appreciative of the fact that you post thoughtful, positive and helpful comments on other student's blogs as well. I know that students, like Thomas from Panmure Bridge, will be so excited to know that their work is being read and commented on my their peers (and especially by someone who is about to go to high school).

    That is very cool.

    Thank you!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Perspectives on the Dawn Raids (Level One History Assignment #1)

Apology Post

The Market...