Summer Learning Journey - Day 6 - Activity Two - Recipe of a New Zealand Dish

IMPORTANT NOTE: Read this in a fast tone.

Hi, reader!!


Welcome to another task from the Summer Learning Journey, you know how it goes, the task said to do a quick Google search or ask a family member about a traditional New Zealand dish, I did a Google Search, here’s a mince and cheese pie recipe, I’m done talking, bye.


Ingredients:
  • 700g rough puff pastry
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 500g lean beef mince
  • 30g plain flour
  • 175ml beef stock (ready-made is fine)
  • 125ml beer (preferably a lager beer, but get an adult to get this!)
  • 2 Tbsp tomato puree or paste (Sean used paste)
  • 1 Tbsp vegemite or marmite, optional (marmite is preferable)
  • 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ tsp mixed herbs
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 200g grated tasty cheese
  • 1 egg (for egg wash, mixed together with 2 tablespoons of water)
  • 2 Tbsp of black or white sesame seeds for the topping


Method:


  1. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is golden, add the beef mince and cook until well browned, stirring break up any large lumps.


  1. Stir in the flour and cook for approximately 30 seconds, gradually add the beef stock and beer and bring to the boil. Add the tomato puree and vegemite, balsamic vinegar, mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and simmer gently 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.


  1. Assembly and Baking: Cut off a quarter of the pastry block and set it aside for the pie lids.


  1. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the larger piece of pastry to a square approximately 4mm thick, cut into quarters.


  1. Line each individual pie tin, ensuring the pastry is firmly lined against the sides, leaving the pastry hanging over the edge of the tins.


  1. Roll out the smaller piece of pastry to a square approximately 3mm thick, cut the square into quarters, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.


  1. Fill each pastry lined dish with the mince filling, almost up to the top then add a small handful of grated tasty cheese. Brush the edge of the pastry bases with water and place the pastry lid on top. Seal edges and trim excess pastry off with a sharp knife. Whisk the egg and water together and brush over the pastry top, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Rest for 1 - 2 hours (or longer) before baking. Place directly into a preheated oven set at 220°C and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown in colour. 
  2. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove from the tins and place on a cooling rack. Serve with your favourite tomato sauce and a crisp green salad or bowl of French fries.

Comments

  1. Hi Willy,

    Whew, I did my best to read your post in a fast tone and it was a challenge! I managed it, however, and I also managed to read through the entire recipe that you posted. It looks delicious!

    I am inspired to give it a try later this week. Aronui (my son) and I love to bake and cook together and I think that he'd really enjoy tackling this classic kiwi recipe with me. I tend to choose recipes that I am more familiar with and they are typically for meals that are more North American in nature (i.e. club sandwiches, quesadillas, etc) and Aronui is always asking for more 'kiwi-like' food. I can't think of anything that is more stereotypical of kiwis than pie!

    On that note, are you a fan of mince and cheese pie? Given what you mentioned about cheese in your last blog, I wonder if this is a dish that you would enjoy...

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    Thanks for commenting. First of all, I'd like to reply to this:
    "On that note, are you a fan of mince and cheese pie?"

    Yes, I LVOE it! I love it so much, that I would misspell "LOVE" for it!

    But that's just because the cheese is melted in the pie. Ooh, and I would love to try a bit of the North American kind of foods some time later on. I've had a club sandwich once before and it was at the Manaiakalani Film Festival while the presenters, Ms Kyla, and I were having a bit of a break, and without even knowing what a club sandwich was, I ordered one! And it tasted AMAZING! And to top it off it had a salad, and gosh, it was...I can't even describe it anymore, it tasted delicious!!

    And in a cafe too, I mean, wow! It was also my first time in a cafe! Random fact, but yeah!

    -Willy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Willy,

    Wow! You wouldn't believe it, but I was just thinking about the good ol' Kiwi pie yesterday... I grew up in NZ but I now live in Germany and I really miss the deliciousness of a mince and cheese pie!

    So, thank you for posting this - I am definitely taking note of the recipe to try sometime! It might take me some time to get the correct ingredients, or find substitutes (the reaction of my German friends to Vegemite/Marmite is 'priceless' :D ..can you imagine?)

    You get different types of cheese here - normal cheddar is not that common, but there are plenty of yummy types of cheese - maybe I will need to experiment with some to come up with an equivalent to our Kiwi tasty cheese. I will probably have to make my own puff pastry. Hmm, I guess I may not find Wattie's Tomato Sauce here either..... isn't it interesting how sometimes there are just little things that are different in other countries, but these are the things that can be missed greatly!

    Once again, thanks for your post!
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Willy,

    I am so happy to read that you've tried a club sandwich!! It is not a common kiwi dish but I do love them. I always order one as soon as I get back to Canada, along with a root beer and a soft serve ice cream cone from a place called Dairy Queen. It's divine!

    Ah, you are making me think back to all of those visits that I have had to my favourite restaurants in Canada. Fortunately, there is also plenty of delicious food to enjoy here in New Zealand as well (including the mince and cheese pie). I like to see that Carolyn is thinking about making her own. That is quite ambitious but Carolyn is a great cook, so I believe that she will do a fabulous job!

    Thanks for commenting, Willy and Carolyn. It's such fun to be able to 'talk' to you both about delicious 'kiwiana' and Canadian foods. Yum :)

    All the best,

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Perspectives on the Dawn Raids (Level One History Assignment #1)

Apology Post

The Market...