Summer Learning Journey - Activity 2 - Recommending a Book for Curious Kiwi PART TWO

Hi, reader,

I can't wait to tell you about ANOTHER book in which, by pure coincidence, is another book I read through the past year. Well...this book, I read back in 2014, that was from the 2014 Prizegiving/Graduation Ceremony (I was in the Student Council and received books, yay!), here's a bit of a memory pop up image:

Okay, even though you can't see the book, you can still see a book. I got two books, but the Catching Fire book was more...entertaining...sorry pick-a-path...

But first, the task objective:

Activity 2: Read the following reviews of these three books - Catching Fire, Matilda and Diary of a Wimpy Kid - The Ugly Truth. They are all books that are really popular in Canada. If you had to choose one of these three books for Curious Kiwi to read on the plane, which one would you choose? Post the name of the book on your blog. Underneath the title, explain why you would choose that book.

So, the book I'm choosing Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins. If you've been following my blog for the past year or so, reader, I was so interested in the book that I decided to do a bit of a blogpost series talking about each chapter. So here we go with the recommendation.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins:
I absolutely, LOVE this book. It was probably one of the best accidents that occurred to me back in late 2014 to early 2015. Reading the little blurb provided, and-wait, read the blurb first before I go further, please...

Image result for 9781594135859Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Now, moving on, reading the blurb of the book is JUST the beginning. As a reader of this book, I can tell you that there are a lot of cliffhangers at the end of each chapter, and if you get into the mood of this book, you can guarantee that you'll want to read this book literally anywhere. In bed, in your living room, at a social occasion, IN THE BATHROOM EVEN!

That is how good the book is.

It can capture your attention to something, while it paints the pictures in your mind. And you don't have to read the first book to know what happens in this one. You forget that and go into the feeling, that you have already read the first book, even though you probably didn't! And once you get into the book, probably midway, you develop feelings for each of the characters in the story, and begin to think that you relate to Katniss, the main protagonist and main character in the story.

And the end just surprises you completely. I did a comment previously, when I didn't do the Summer Learning Journey, on another student's blog. Here's the comment below:


Comments

  1. Catching Fire:D I love that book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Willy,

    Firstly, I wanted to acknowledge your participation in the Summer Learning Journey in December 2015 as a peer providing feedback for Sebastian. I read your comment and was so grateful that you had chosen to provide such a positive, thoughtful and helpful comment for Sebastian. Awesome.

    I also wanted to thank you for the engaging review that you provided of 'Catching Fire.' It sounds like it is a very engaging and gripping novel if you were inspired to read it in every room of your house (bathroom included!). That is high praise!

    I hope that you are able to stumble across some other interesting books this year. I would imagine that your high school teachers will introduce you to a number of new authors and expand your horizons either further. It's pretty exciting!

    Wishing you a lovely day. (Huge congrats on reaching the 1000 post mark, as well. That is a very significant accomplishment! You should be really proud.)

    Cheers,

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Willy,

    I agree that it is a very good read and I like that you suggested it to Curious Kiwi. I actually read the whole trilogy on one of my recent long-haul trip. Although it was great entertainment during the flights, it really was not a smart move for my jet-lag. I remember staying up very late the night I came home to finish the book... Ahh well...

    Have you thought about any tricks to get rid of the jet-lag once you arrive in Frankfurt?

    Best, Katharina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Hercules Movie Evaluation Task - Movie Questions

GBW: Transcript

April 25th...