Prizegiving - Part Two

The Prizegiving ceremony began with the kapa haka group (excluding the Year Eight members) calling us in. We sat down, and were signalled to stand up again for the national anthem.


Skip the national anthem and prayer, because that's what normally happens during a ceremony like this, there was the opening speech by first Mrs Fepuleai then Mrs Kelly.


After that, it was the speeches by two of the Year Eight students. First it was Deandra, describing her years at Tamaki Primary and mentioning some of the Year Eight students with their strengths. I can't remember most of her speech because I was too busy thinking. And preparing. No tears had shed. Backstory time. Almost every Prizegiving had one person shedding some tears. Not that I'm saying that it was bad, I mean, who WOULDN'T cry at their last formal ceremony at their primary school? I was just thinking that...oh, nevermind, I was worried that if Deandra didn't cry...

I might cry...yes, I was doing a speech at the Prizegiving. I can't believe it, I never knew I'd do more than two speeches this year! Coming back to the Prizegiving ceremony, I talked about some stuff. Some subjects like...like...you know what, I'll just post it later. I mean, it IS a speech and something to blog about, riiiight?? ;)

Anyways, like Deandra's speech, it was witty and, like hers, gained some laughs from the audience filled with parents and families and, again, past students of Tamaki Primary. "Thank you." I ended my speech, with applause. I sat down as Mr Minton stood up. He said that a man who was handsome and incredible man was going to go on stage. But he couldn't come, and so here he was, giving a motivational speech. It was dang motivating, I tell you that. And the video he showed us (I forgot the name of it but it was cool!) really hit deep for me.

We moved on from that talk to the first part of the award ceremony. I can't tell you what happened during the award ceremony because it was basically: description of student, calling of student, applause for student, the student shakes the hand of the person who helps with the award, the student smiles and a picture is taken with them and the person helping with the awards, they sit down with applause, and....voila, that's how it goes.

I CAN say that I won two awards, and here's the funny thing. On my first award, my mum came up to the stage, holding some lolly necklaces. She gave one to Ms Aireen...


And one lolly necklace for Mrs Fepuleai...

And one lolly necklace for Mr Minton...

Then she came to me....

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd gave me five dollars. Yep...cue the laughter from the audience. But it was funny from my perspective, I was always faced with misfortune at Tamaki Primary, but in a humourous manner. Or Miss Fortune (get it?). At least I got some fortune...which I gave away on Monday for lunch....whoops...

Anyways, many awards were given out and we all clapped and cheered. The school band then performed a song, in which I, amazingly and horrifyingly, forgot! I forgot the song they sang! That was amazing how I could forget a well known song that they would sing. Gosh, dang it, me! Wow! I'm still trying to....dang it! Wow, I am really sorry, reader. My mind can't seem to get the song...

Just before I move on, I forgot the order of the actual Prizegiving ceremony. I think it was after Mr Minton's speech that the Year Eight movie was shown (full credit to Ms Kyla), then my movie (the one for the Film Festival), and it was award time. I'm sorry, reader, it was just full on.

Moving on, the second part of the award ceremony. I don't know who got which, but I know that at one moment, Mrs Fepuleai was describing one student, and she said, "...we all know who that is..." and almost every Year Eight said, "Willy!" but, want to know something extremely awkward? It was Brodie who got the award! Oh, gosh, I felt weird after that, but to think that almost everyone would suggest my name is quite a compliment.

Thanks, everybody!

I received the Dux Award later on. At this moment, I literally had no idea whatsoever what the word "Dux" meant. I thought it was song slang word used by everyone. Dux! But after a Google Search later on, I realised I should've known what it was! I couldn't believe that I just SMILED when I got the Dux Award!

Amazing!!! I was a top pupil! Probably not the top pupil for the whole school, that's preposterous! Maybe the top pupil of the class was best to believe. But gosh...Dux Award...no WONDER why so many people came to congratulate me on the Dux Award! What a big deal! After the second part of the awards ceremony, it was finished, and the Year Eights got a lolly necklace. I was the first one out, and the second person out was Mehi. She was carrying her awards (by the way, we received the TRUMP Award) like how Michael Jackson would.

Like, really. It reminded me of Michael Jackson with his Grammy awards.

Skip a bit of confusion where my Mum was, I found my Mum and Dad, and they gave me hugs and kisses. After that, pictures were taken. A LOT of pictures. I was congratulated a bit by some people who came by, even Brooklyn. That was a surprise. After he congratulated me, he just...walked off. Just like that. Weird, but thoughtful from what he said.

My parents then left. They asked if I wanted to come home at this point of time, but I requested to stay at school for a bit longer. And so, they left, taking my awards and trophies. That took the weight off me. Literally, with the heat going around, I wouldn't survive taking the awards home!

I went around, touched some girl's hat, and chose some food and drinks to eat and drink. Gosh, it just felt refreshing to eat those foods. Again, some more people congratulate me, this time, from the way I handled my speech. Two women approached me while I was outside eating, and they were talking about some stuff about my voice (in a good way) and my speech, and congratulated and praised me!

Thanks to them! If only I wasn't eating the food I had while they were speaking with me - that was a bit awkward, but so good of them to say that! And Viliamu came to me and we talked a bit, before he had to go. I went to get some more food and juices, now, and I walked out the back entrance of the hall. Taylor happened to be there, and so he said something I couldn't understand (it was probably good), and jumped on me! This was how I talked, see if you can recognize when he jumped on me...

Oh, hi, Taylor, hey, maaaaaaaaaaate!!!

It's not obvious at alllll. Moving on, Mavis asked me if I got the Dux Award, and I said yes. She hugged me straight away! Remember, reader, I didn't know how big of a significance the Dux Award would have on me. Not a clue.

But anyway, to end it there, everyone was starting to get back home. Again, like at Dine and Dance, I don't know where the people actually went to. But that was okay. At least I wasn't at the hospital this year...

Comments

Popular Posts

Perspectives on the Dawn Raids (Level One History Assignment #1)

GBW: Transcript

April 25th...