Sunday, 14 June 2015

My Manaiakalani "Learn, Create, Share" Speech

Here's the actual speech that I used (mostly, and added some jokes in but that was improvised) to present on the Manaiakalani Ambassadors Meeting on Wednesday.

Talofa Lava, my name is Willy and I am a Year Eight Student. I attend Tamaki Primary School which is a full primary school located in Alamein Road.

Our inquiry topic this term has been Myths and Legends.  I’ve learnt quite a lot, actually, mostly about stories, in which I would say would be easily categorised into a Myth and Legend.

What I learned first was the differences between a myth and a legend.  A myth is a story passed down from generation to generation that might be hard to believe but, carries key messages about people and cultures.  A legend, however, is a story that is also passed down from generation to generation, about a true figure or event, but has been largely exaggerated.  For example, Robin Hood was a true person, but he probably didn’t kill 100 men with one arrow.

Now, for the Myths and Legends task, I could tell you that my teacher had sent the whole class a template, and then we made a copy of it. That’s how it usually goes. But luckily, thanks to the power of the acronym “D.L.O” and the purpose of it, it means Digital Learning Object by the way, we students at Tamaki Primary, and possibly every other school nearby, create our own piece of work to show our understanding, and we use these Google tools, because we have Google Accounts, if you didn’t know, like presentations, documents, drawings, we use those to create our tasks provided.

And not only that, we also use other learning tools to show our understanding of the learning, like this application called Padlet, where you can place all your ideas around the main subject and stuff, and there’s other applications we use, but mostly we use the Google tools.

For the task, I created a drawing, similar to the original template, but it changed a bit. This was it (slide). Thinking over there, throughout the drawing, you can see the differences of the myth and the legend.

Okay, so I’ve talked about the learning part of this, the create, which was this result, now I move onto the sharing part. Of course, those people that know me know that I am a passionate blogger and that I would’ve blogged this D.L.O. I’m quite a well-known blogger in our community, as some people would say. 

I didn’t know about that. But my blog! (slide) This is one of the ways we share our thinking, and learning. And our DLOs. Sometimes, I get feedback from people who read my blog, friends from school, classmates from school, my parents sometimes and sometimes people from around our community.  

When this happens, I feel overjoyed and overwhelmed at the fact that people would take time to read about my life.  Besides having fun creating for my blog, I would say that sharing it with others is the time I feel the most free - I feel open to others and to express myself to others.

Fa'afetai lava mo le fa'alogo mai i la'u fa'asoa! Thank you for listening to my presentation!

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Thanks so much for being part of the Manaiakalani Ambassadors' team Willy. You made yourself memorable by your presentation. Many of the visitors commented on your humour and articulate presentation. See you at the next event.

Mrs Burt

Post a Comment