Sunday, 19 April 2015

Novel Study Series: Apply - Nostalgic Moments

Hi, everybody!

My name is Willy and for another part of the Novel Study Series, I take a look back a few years of what the book I read (Canterbury Quake, which I finished reading. Yes!), and see how the book's events remind me of a similar time.

The question of the task was, for Apply, Did this book remind you of anything that has happened to you? What? Why? How did you act in that situation?

Now, considering the big part of this book is earthquakes and their personal effects on the people in the book, the earthquakes reminded me of two not-so-similar situations, but they're at least close to being as big of an earthquake to Christchurch's.

One scenario occurred to me almost three years ago. Specifically, 2012. This was probably when the Big Shake Out earthquake drill occurred across the country. Everyone was prepared and the clock was ticking. Everything was quiet...then Ms Aireen (who was coincidentally my teacher in 2012) told us to do the drill in which we practised HOW MANY TIMES, and we were under the tables for quite some time.

How I felt? I tried to think what it would be like to actually be in an earthquake. Horrible.

It was quiet, we didn't laugh at the fact that we were under the tables and desks doing nothing and waiting for something to happen.

Now here's the second scenario/situation.

In 2013, March I think it was, and I still remember the time. Past 4 o'clock. A small yet hard earthquake happened from outside of Auckland, but it was still felt across parts inside Auckland. Including my house. I was just sitting on the sofa in the living room in my home...thought nothing interesting would happen...what would happen, anyway?

Then the small earthquake struck at about 4:04pm. I still remember. The sofa I was sitting was rocking me for about a second. Goodness me, was I scared right after. The loud roar bursting through the seams, and into my ears.

I couldn't move.

I just sat there, my life flashing through my eyes in that moment.

I felt absolutely shocked, mixed with horribleness. If that's a word...

So, anyway, those were the situations/scenario that went through my mind while reading the book (Canterbury Quake, absolutely great read in my opinion). Again, this ends this task for the Novel Study Series for now. See you in the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment