Sunday, 29 June 2014

That Thursday

It was a Thursday night.

My mum was out shopping, and my dad was cooking. My brother was sitting down, looking into space, my sister was running around in layers of clothing. I was on the computer, chatting to a friend while working.

08:26 PM.

Suddenly the alarm goes off. I turn around on my computer chair. What I saw had me gasping. Smoke was everywhere, but still, my brother and sister were acting normal. "Open the door!" I yell to my sister while trying to grab something. Sorry, Abby... I say in my mind, as I get one of her favourite drawings. Waving it frantically at the alarm, I see my Dad trying to take on the fire in the oven. More smoke comes out. I see the fire, crawling out of the oven. For the first time, I breathe in smoke. I feel dizzy. Abby shows off at the worst time ever. She says words I don't understand, while opening and closing the front door.

"Abby!" I yell at her.

The smoke alarm stops yelling, and I run back to my computer...

Willy? Are you there?
I can't talk right now, I'm in...
Internet connection cuts off...
Willy? Hello? You're eatz Willy...
Willy? Helloooooo? HELLO? Willy...

Suddenly the internet goes down low, lower than usual. "Trying to connect" it said. The smoke alarm goes off again. Running to the alarm, standing on the chairs, I see Dad sprinkling salt in the oven, on the fire. What the? I think to myself. Abby starts crying, opening the door. I see car lights. It's Mum. Smoke is still spreading in the house. I can't believe there's only one going off. Mum comes into the home. "Oh, my..." she says, glaring at the smoke around us. Alarm's off now. The big fire's out. All this happened in just over 6 minutes.

Internet's back on after a moment...

I'm back...I just experienced a fire.
OMGoodness, is Abby alright?
Yeah, just crying a little...
To be honest, if Dad hadn't stopped the burning, I wouldn't be here...
Are you okay?
Yeah. Just breathed into some smoke...
Please don't tell anyone this happened, please?
Okay then...
Thank you...

6 minutes changed everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment